Awesome! Here’s your chance to get involved.
Do you want to be a part of one of YSA’s biggest Science School events of the year?
Does the potential of working with liquid nitrogen and meeting heaps of awesome people interest you?
If so, you have found the right place!
The UNSW Connoco Phillips Science Experience and USyd Gifted and Talented Program will be coming up in July 2016 and we are currently looking for a Planning Committee and coordinators (Head coordinator and 2ICs) to help organise this exciting program.
What is The Science Experience or The Gifted and Talented Program?
The ConnocoPhillips Science Experience is a three day science program aimed for high-school students in Year 8-11 to foster their understanding, knowledge and interest in science, engineering and technology. This three day program will involve the students attending lectures, labs and participating fun & interactive activities.
Our role in YSA is to help ensure that these three days run smoothly. This will involve ensuring that all activities are carried out correctly, ensure the safety and wellbeing of students and last, but not least, that both the students and the staff team (including you!) are having fun!
The Gifted and Talented Program is a similar three day program ran by the University of Sydney in order to expose bright young students to various fields in the world of science.
What do the roles entail?
The committee will be made up of 3 to 5 members and will be responsible for liaising with UNSW/USyd and marketing of TCSE/GnT staffie roles in the leadup to July. Planning members do not need to be there during the science school, but will need to act as a point of contact during the three day program.
Responsibilities will include:
- Organising forms and marketing for Staffie applications
- Liaising with the uni contact to ensure that things are running to schedule.
- Liaising with YSA members coming from interstate to staff at the TSE/GnT.
- Planning training for the staffies.
- Designing and planning the Science Show.
- Working effectively in a team to ensure group outcomes are achieved.
Whilst experience with staffing is preferable, if you are willing and keen to learn, that is what really matters when we consider your application.
TCSE/GnT Coordinator and 2IC
As the Coordinator your roles and responsibilities will be as follows:
- Coordinating the Training Day for the YSA staffies, which includes running through ice breakers, going over safety precautions and theoretical situations.
- Organising YSA activities on the three days of TCSE/GnT – including YSA’s Relay Quiz, Science Show and YSA’s Egg Drop/ Interactive Activity.
- Finding and organising ‘Staffie’ volunteers and organising Staffie teams.
- Liaise with the uni contact(s) for TCSE/GnT before and during the program, this may involve meetings to discuss the program.
- Preferably have had at least 2 previous TCSE experience ( including being 2IC).
- Be able to delegate tasks and responsibilities to different staffies.
- Reporting any OH&S incidents directly to the uni contact(s).
- Ensure the overall running of the program is smooth.
As 2IC, you will be assisting the coordinator with everything above.
When will we need you?
For both planning committee and coordinator roles, it will involve planning with the team through May and June 2016
We will also need you to be available for both training days as well as the during the program. There will also be prior preparation time needed as well.
Mon 4th and Tues 5th of July, 2016
UNSW TCSE: Wed 6th to Friday 8th of July, 2016
USyd GnT: Tuesday 12th to Thursday 14th of July, 2016
Attendance to all five dates (training and the program itself) is compulsory if you are in a Coordinator or 2IC position. For a planning committee position it is optional.
Applications close 1st May 2016 at 12pm, so be sure to apply before then to give the committee appropriate time to review your application.
We’d love for you to apply!
Applications have now closed.